Top Surgery Specialists of Los Angeles: Female-to-Male (FTM), Male-to-Female (MTF), and Non-Binary (N) Top Surgery
Do insurance plans cover Top Surgery? Top Surgery Specialists of Los Angeles works with many insurance plans. However, the cost to the patient will be determined by the benefits specific to that patient’s policy. Our office does our best to help patients understand what their expected costs are, if any, although it’s really up to the patient to contact their insurance company themselves to confirm what their financial responsibilities are according to the plan you have.
Who is a candidate for Top Surgery? The criteria Female-to-Male (FTM), Male-to-Female (MTF), and Non-Binary / Gender-Nonconforming (N) Top Surgery are set forth by the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) and consists of the following:
- Persistent, well-documented gender dysphoria
- Capacity to make a fully informed decision and to consent for treatment
- Be of the age of majority in the country of surgery
- Significant medical or mental health concerns, if present, must be reasonably well-controlled at the time of surgery
- Hormone supplementation is not a prerequisite
Are there any financing options available to help me pay for Top Surgery if my insurance does not cover the surgery? Yes, we offer CareCredit® Financing.
How much time will I need to take off work/school to recuperate after my Top Surgery? Most Top Surgery patients usually take off one full week from work or school. Certain activity restrictions will be in place for at least the first two weeks following surgery.
Do I need to be on testosterone or estrogen before I can get Top Surgery?
No. WPATH Standards of Care do not require hormone therapy to be eligible for Top Surgery.
Will I be in much pain after my Top Surgery? No. Your pain will be very manageable after surgery and can be effectively managed with over-the-counter pain medication. We have a specialized technique during surgery referred to as a “nerve block” that allows us to perform surgery without the need for postoperative narcotics.
Can I get Top Surgery if I’m under 18 years old? No, patients must be at least 18 years old to be candidates for Top Surgery.
What should I do to prepare my body for Top Surgery?
- If you smoke, stop. Smoking negatively affects healing and can contribute to complications such as the loss of nipple grafts. At a minimum, do not smoke for four weeks before and four weeks after surgery.
- Eat a healthy diet. Avoid processed foods, excess sugar, etc.
- Exercise regularly. For FTM/N that desire such results, include exercises that target your chest muscles. Defined chest muscles will provide more contour for the surgeon to work with and will help improve your surgery results.
- Abstain from alcohol for two weeks prior to and for two weeks following surgery. Alcohol thins your blood and can increase bleeding and bruising.
- Discuss any medications you are taking, including hormones, with your surgeon and anesthesiologist. Your surgeon will likely provide you with a list of medications and herbal products to avoid before surgery.
Top Surgery Specialists of Los Angeles (Beverly Hills) specializes in taking exceptional care of each Top Surgery patient from the initial consultation to the post-recovery period. The honor and privilege of caring for our patients comes with the responsibility and dedication of the best in class board certified plastic surgeons and our staff to adhere to the utmost standards of excellence in patient care and final surgical outcome. As top-rated best in class Top Surgery specialists we provide highly personalized and comprehensive care. The goal of Top Surgery is to achieve the most natural result possible and to help satisfy our patient’s physical transition goals. If you have any questions or would like to schedule a Top Surgery consultation at our LA practice please feel free to contact us:
Top Surgery Specialists of Los Angeles
416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210